This award recognizes a member of the academic community who has demonstrated excellence in research, inquiry and/or scholarship. Ferris State University embraces a broad definition of scholarship that includes emphasis on discovery, integration, application, and/or teaching. Recipients will receive a trophy and monetary award of $1500.
Ferris tenured/tenure track faculty members and adjunct faculty members are eligible for this award. Any member of the Academic Scholar Award Selection Committee who is nominated for the award will remove him/herself from the committee for the year in which he/she is nominated. Past recipients of this award are eligible only upon the expiration of the fifth year after their award.
Criteria for Evaluation
Nominees will be evaluated based on the significance of his/her contributions in these areas:
- Discovery: Building new knowledge through traditional research (i.e., publishing in peer-reviewed forums; producing/performing creative work within established field; creating infrastructure for future studies)
- Integration: Interpret the use of knowledge across disciplines (i.e., preparing a comprehensive literature review; writing a textbook for use in multiple disciplines; collaborating with colleagues to design/deliver a course)
- Application: Aid society and professions in addressing problems (i.e., serving industry or government as an external consultant; assuming leadership roles in professional organizations; advising student leaders thereby fostering their professional growth)
- Teaching: Study teaching models and practices to achieve optimal learning (i.e., advancing learning
theory through classroom research; developing and testing instructional materials;
mentoring graduate students; designing and implementing a program-level assessment
For further information, please see Academic Scholar Award Rubric.
Please nominate your colleagues for this award by electronically submitting the following:
- Nominee's name, Ferris department and college, and phone number
- Letter of nomination that specifically addresses the criteria for evaluation
All nominations must be sent to [email protected]. Please include the subject line “Academic Scholar Award Nomination” in your email. Nominees will receive a confirmation email indicating that the nomination was received. Please submit a separate nomination for each nominee.
Nominees will then be contacted to submit the following:
- A minimum of a one-page paper, not to exceed three pages, describing a personal scholarship philosophy, methods, challenges and any accomplishments that are deemed deem noteworthy (required);
- Current vita or resume, with a clearly marked section for scholarly activities and awards dated by academic year. (Please offer explanation for activities as appropriate; may be submitted as a separate attachment from CV/resume) (required);
- Up to three additional letters of recommendation or support from students, colleagues, or professional organizations, as appropriate, will be accepted but they are not required (optional)
Nomination submissions were due by 5 PM (EDT) on Friday, February 7, 2020.