Bulldog Hall of Fame
W.C. "Top" Taggart
Football Coach, 1911-12

Taggart was Ferris' first official varsity football coach, beginning with the 1911 season. He registered a 2-3 record that year as a player-coach. As a child, his own family circle affixed him with the nickname "Top," and he grew into a symbol of widespread affection and respect. A Big Rapids native and former star halfback, he served on the Ferris Board of Control from 1931-50, including five years as chair.

Taggart was a long-time benefactor of Ferris in countless ways, particularly in the purchase of land and holding the land's rights for the school until funds became available to buy the property. As a businessman, he was a pioneer in natural gas development and production, and was president of the Taggart Company in Big Rapids. He died in 1968, but not before being recognized in October 1957 during dedication ceremonies for the school's football field, named in his honor.

Top Taggart
Click for larger image Click for larger image Click for larger image Click for larger image Click for larger image Click for larger image Click for larger image  
FSU Home Sports Hall of Fame Search