FLITE Mission, Vision and Core Values
As an essential partner for successful learning, teaching and research at Ferris State University, FLITE will:
- become integral to every Ferris studentís educational experience;
- become recognized as a partner to all Ferris faculty;
- keep each personís success at the center of what we do and how we do it;
- intentionally use data, evidence, and knowledge to make decisions, assess, and adapt;
- join with others to respond to global changes that affect higher education, libraries, and the people we serve;
- cultivate a culture that includes and respects all ideas, needs, and perspectives;
- actively pursue partnerships that promote Ferris and community success;
- strive to balance physical and online collections and services;
- and be a place where people learn from the past and discover the future.
FLITE Core Values
FLITE operates according to:
- the American Library Association Library Bill of Rights1;
- the Association for College and Research Libraries' Standards for Libraries in Higher Education2;
- Ferris State University's core values of collaboration, diversity, ethical community, excellence, learning, and opportunity;
- and the library's own complementary core values, below.
Through our collections, trusted online information, and engagement with other libraries, FLITE provides access to information and knowledge from diverse perspectives, increasingly available anywhere, anytime. We strive toward equal access for all at Ferris, and all others in our surrounding communities.
FLITE's librarians, staff, and information resources serve as the foundation on which our users create, share, and disseminate knowledge. We share data, evidence, and information to foster collective knowledge that helps our users succeed.
A key locus for learning outside the classroom at Ferris, FLITE supports individual and group learning and collaboration, face-to-face and online. We endeavor to stay current on information and knowledge service practice.
With a wealth of information to discover, FLITE is the place to start for conducting research in any discipline. Our librarians assist with research projects, from gathering support and ideas to disseminating and bringing attention to Ferris work.
Everything we do in FLITE is based on a guiding ethic to provide excellent service that enables our diverse communities to efficiently complete successful work. We maintain positive relationships with our users and partners.
FLITE is a teaching library, offering users the opportunity to learn to find, evaluate, and apply information in their work and lives. Our faculty librarians and staff partner with instructors to teach information literacy and research, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills.
Approved by FLITE Advisory Council May 29, 2013
Departmental Mission Statements
Library Systems & Operations
Facilitates the selection and acquisition of library information resources in traditional and electronic formats; processes, organizes, and maintains those resources, making them quickly and easily accessible to users; and integrates technology into library operations to improve services and enhance access to information.
The Public Services Department of FLITE is a service-oriented organization dedicated to connecting the Ferris State University community to information while providing instruction and resources to create information literate lifelong learners.
Collects, preserves and makes available materials that require unusual care or special attention to their acquisition, processing and patron use.