Place, a former U.S. Army paratrooper, came to Ferris after serving over two years in the World War II occupation of Japan. The captain of the 1952 Bulldog football team, Place played offensive guard as well as both defensive guard and linebacker during his FSU career from 1949-52. The four-year letterwinner helped Ferris post the program's 100th all-time win versus Defiance (Ohio) in 1951 under head coach Bob Sherman. Place, who was recalled to the U.S. Army during his collegiate playing days, was elected President of the FSU Varsity Club as a student-athlete. A longtime supporter of Bulldog Athletics, Place has supported Ferris continuously since 1974 through his involvement in the Bulldog Club, President's Club, FSU Gridiron Club and the Ferris Athletic Associates. A former member of the Bulldog Athletics Hall of Fame Committee, Place has also served in the Gridiron Club as a board member, secretary and treasurer. Since 1990, Place has attended virtually every FSU home and away football game, often serving as host for the Gridiron Club's tailgate events. Upon his graduation from Ferris in 1953, the Alma High School product joined Universal Electric Company in Owosso as an accountant and later helped staff a new factory in Altavista, Va. From 1968-77, Place was employed as Vice President of the Roary Corporation in Lansing before purchasing the R.L. Rider Company. He sold the business in 1983 and semi-retired to Mecosta County. Place and his wife, Ina, presently reside in Big Rapids. They have four grown children.