College of Business Academic Advising
Advising is the primary responsibility of the classroom faculty. Faculty are supported in this process by academic department head/chairs, the department and dean's office personnel, educational counselor and other support personnel throughout campus.
Students are assigned to faculty advisors from their specific program area whenever possible. The name, office hours, location and office phone number can be found on the COB website under "ALL Students" and Faculty Office hours. Additionally, students may find it on the faculty member's course syllabus for each course.
In order for academic advising to be an effective way of helping students, both the faculty advisor and the student advisee have responsibilities:
- Become knowledgeable about and abide by the policies of Ferris State University and the College of Business as delineated in the COB Orientation handouts including:
- Graduation requirements
- Academic policies
- Social Conduct Code
- Registration for classes
- Financial Aid and Financial Payment Policies
- Health center; i.e. Immunization forms/records
- Contact and make appointments regularly with my faculty advisor when required or when in need of assistance.
- Clarify personal values, abilities, interests and goals to my advisor and seek resources as needed.
- Prepare for registration by clearing any possible restrictions holds prior to registration and bring appropriate check sheet and other material to the advising session.
- Accept responsibilities for their actions realizing that they must make decisions for themselves after reviewing available information.
- Become familiar with each advisee's academic and educational needs.
- Actively obtain/maintain current information on each assigned advisee.
- Provide students with current academic information about procedures, policies, and requirements of FSU degree programs (majors, minors, certificates).
- Assist students in developing course schedules and offer students advice on student choices for general education courses, free electives, directed electives, etc.
- Direct students to available resources as needed.
- Encourage students to review their academic progress regularly searching for possible conflicts or omissions.
- Review advisee's academic plan periodically and remove academic registration holds on each semester.
- Assist students in the decision-making process as needed.