About the College of Business
The College of Business (COB) provides career-oriented education, responding for over 100 years to the changing needs of the business world. The curriculum prepares graduates to deal with real issues as members and leaders of tomorrow’s workforce.
Building upon the Ferris Mission, Vision, and Values
The COB faculty, staff, and administration are proud of their commitment to:
Mission: What We Commit to
We are committed to academic excellence, ethical conduct, and a learner-centered environment characterized by quality teaching, outcomes assessment, and continuous improvement. Our students can take pride in their developed competencies and the distinctiveness of the College’s programs. We shall be noted for being responsive to changes in workforce needs; building/maintaining good relationships with employers and community; preparing our students to excel in a global environment; and providing high-quality interns and graduates who meet and exceed employer expectations, deal effectively with change, and are committed to lifelong learning.
Vision: What We Aspire to Be
The COB will be distinctive for providing highly regarded career-oriented business education, adding value to our students through innovative teaching and learning processes, ensuring that they are well-prepared to make immediate contributions to their employers and society upon graduation. Our graduates will be sought because their competencies are of high quality and consistent with current and future workplace needs.
Values Embraced by the Faculty, Staff, and Students of the College of Business
- Learning: We value the development of competency through active learning. We believe opportunity, relevance, and engagement are central to learning effectiveness.
- Respect: We value others and endeavor to treat them with dignity, respect, and equity, focusing on the development of constructive and collegial relationships.
- Diversity: We value diversity and strive to realize its synergistic benefit.
- Integrity: We value high standards of professional and ethical conduct. We will do the right things, in the right ways, for the right reasons.
- Excellence: We value excellence, expecting it of ourselves and of those with whom we interact.
- Change: We value change for the vitality it can yield, acknowledging its inevitability and uncertainty.
- Continuous Improvement: We value continuous quality improvement and the use of systematic performance assessment in support of all that we do.
From the Begininng
A business curriculum was among the first three academic programs offered at Ferris when it was founded in 1884 as Big Rapids Industrial School. The Commercial Course, as it was called, included arithmetic, bookkeeping, penmanship, business correspondence, and commercial law. Although the curriculum changed to reflect the times, the name associated remained the same until the 1950s. In 1988 the program became the College of Business.
The COB had its humble beginnings in the “business practice room” of the Old Main Building. Today, the College is located in the Business Building, which opened for classes in 1970. Recent remodeling projects, along with audiovisual upgrades and new computer equipment, provide the building with contemporary classroom space and state-of-the-art learning environments.
Today, whether on campus, online, or at one of our academic centers across Michigan, the College offers over forty certificate, associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degree programs to a variety of traditional and nontraditional students at times and locations that are convenient to them.
Everyone associated with the College of Business can take pride in the excellence achieved since its beginnings. With more than 80 full-time faculty, an administrative staff, and a student body numbering in the thousands, the College continues to provide high-quality, cutting-edge programs and educational opportunities for today’s business students.