Course Wait Lists: How to add your name to the list.
Waitlists are used on some high demand courses. If you cannot register for a class
because it is full, and a waitlist is active for the course, you can add your name
to a waitlist right from the registration system.
Benefits to this waitlist system:
- You can easily see which courses have a waitlist, and how many people are already
on the waitlist, through Look Up Classes in MyFSU.
- If your name is on the waitlist, you will be notified via email as soon as a seat
becomes available to you - you do not need to call anyone to find out.
- You do not need to wait for normal business hours to accept the offered seat — you
can do that all within the Add/Drop screen in MyFSU.
- The list is processed on a first-come, first-served method.
IT WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FREQUENTLY.
If you are notified via email that a seat in a class is available to you, you will
have to log in to MyFSU, go to Add and Drop Classes, and register for that seat by the date and time deadline indicated in the email.
Instruction Sheets & Brochures
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I add my name to a waitlist if I'm still finishing up the class prerequisites?
No. You must meet all registration requirements before registering OR adding your
name to a waitlist. This includes completion of any course prerequisites, meeting
any class restrictions (such as Jr/Sr status or campus restrictions), having no registration
holds, and having no time conflicts with the intended class.
- How will I be notified if there is a seat available for me?
When your name comes to the top of the waitlist and there is a seat available, you
will be notified by an email to your Ferris email address. You must log in to MyFSU
and register for the open seat by the deadline given in the email (24 hours from when
the notification is sent). If you miss the deadline, your name is automatically removed
and the next person is offered the seat. You can forward your Ferris email to another email address so that you can access
it on your phone, iPad, etc. See My Tech Support or their Access Email on iPhone, iPad, and Android page.
- How much time do I have to accept the offered seat?
You will only have 24 hours from when the email is SENT to you to log into MyFSU and
accept the offered seat. This includes weekends and holidays -- anytime that MyFSU
is up and available.
- What happens if I miss the deadline but I still want that class?
After the time has elapsed and you have not accepted the seat in MyFSU, your name
will be automatically removed from the waitlist and the next person on the list will
be offered the seat. If you still want to request a seat in that class you will need
to re-add your name, and you will be added to the end of the current waitlist.
- Can I put my name on more than one waitlist for a course?
If there are waitlist spots available, you can add your name to as many waitlists
as you would like. Please remember, if you no longer want a seat in any class, you
should log into MyFSU and drop your waitlist entry. This then allows other students
to move up the waitlist and to be notified of an open seat more quickly.
- I want to put my name on a waitlist, but there are no waitlist spots listed for the
class. Who do I call?
Not all classes may have waitlists. If the class is full, you can contact the department
offering the class.
- I really need to have a class to graduate, but there are already several people on
the waitlist. Can I get my name added to the top of the list?
If you were unable to register for a needed course, you should contact your advisor
to discuss possible alternatives or solutions.
- If I add my name to the waitlist, will I be guaranteed a seat?
No. Waitlisting does not guarantee a seat in the class, but does put you 'in line'
if an open seat becomes available.
- I was registered in a class, then dropped it. Now I cant re-register, why not?
Once a class is full and a waitlist has started, any seats that become open are offered
to the person at the top of the waitlist. If you still want this class, you will need
to add your name to the waitlist and you will be added to the end of the list.
- Are waitlisted classes counted in my total credits?
No. Waitlisted class credits are not counted or added to your totals until you accept
a seat and are registered.
- Are waitlisted classes included on my bill?
No. Waitlisted class credits are not counted or added to your bill until you accept
a seat and are registered.
- What do the WL Cap, WL Act and WL Rem columns on the Look Up Classes screen mean?
WL Cap is the maximum number of students allowed on the waitlist
WL Act is the number of students currently on the waitlist
WL Rem is the number of students who can still add their name to the waitlist.
- Will I be dropped off any waitlists if my schedule of registered classes is dropped
Yes. If your schedule is dropped for non-payment, your registered classes AS WELL
AS any waitlisted classes will be dropped. You will need to re-register or add yourself
to the waitlists for any classes you want.
Additional Instruction Documents for Faculty and Staff