Selected Sayings of Woodbridge Nathan Ferris
- "If I had my way, there would be in every community a life-sized statue of Abraham
- "My plea in Michigan -- and it will be my plea to the last breath I draw, and the
last word I speak -- is education for all children, all men, and all women of Michigan,
all the people in all our states all the time."
- "Schools must deal with fundamentals, must build a foundation and furnish a plan for
a possible human structure of beauty, strength and service."
- "I have come here to help you, boys and girls, if you will let me."
- "Permit and encourage a student who has the ability to do four years of scheduled
work in three years."
- "Education is life. It involves growth, development and training."
- "When a human being ceases to do constructive thinking, ceases to find new and better
ways of living, he is as dead as any corpse in a cemetery."
- "It is your place as a teacher to feed mental hunger."
- "The world will always stand back for the man that can do things, even if he has hayseed
in his hair."
- "The school can't do everything. There are some of the elemental teachings that must
come from the home life of the child."
- "I have always entertained the notion that the majority of mankind sleeps 24 hours
a day. Awaken students to a realization of what it means to live, and they will have
little difficulty in performance."
- "I make no attempt to solve all of the problems that any one day presents."
- "No man can see very far into the future. Day by day his perspective changes."
- "I am not an optimist, nor am I a pessimist. I am a meliorist."
- "The world is one big family. Time and distance have been annihilated. National isolation
is a thing of the past."
--many thanks to Caryl B. Ferguson and Richard A. Santer for their tireless efforts
in compiling these thoughts.