What can I expect in a dual enrollment course?

You should expect to be challenged academically in your dual enrollment course. You will be attending classes with Ferris State students of varying ages and backgrounds. High school students and their parents/guardians must understand that course content, instruction, academic expectations, and supporting materials for FSU classes have been developed for adult students typically age 18 or older. The grade(s) you receive in the dual enrollment program ultimately become a part of your permanent college and high school transcripts.

If I want to participate in the Dual Enrollment program for more than one semester, do I have to reapply every semester?

No. Once you have been admitted to the Dual Enrollment Program at FSU, you can enroll for subsequent semesters without submitting a new application, provided you meet the University’s academic criteria for continuing enrollment. If you are accepted for a certain semester and don’t enroll, you will have to reapply for admittance. Remember, the Dual Enrollment Course Permission and Payment Authorization form must be submitted for each semester you are enrolled.

Can I apply online?

Yes! Students should complete the free Pre-College Application online. Paper applications will not be accepted.

How is tuition paid?

Most public schools pay for their students to attend FSU through the Dual Enrollment program, though there may be some additional costs for tuition depending on your school district. Your high school counselor will be able to tell  you the cost of attending. All home-schooled students are responsible for their own tuition. You are responsible for purchasing your own books and supplies for your courses. If tuition is not paid by the tuition due date, you will be dropped from your class(es).

How many classes can I take?

All dual enrolled students are limited to taking two classes per semester, unless otherwise authorized by their high school. Labs are not counted as a separate class.

How do I decide which classes I should enroll in?

Due to State Laws and to ensure you are meeting high school graduation requirements, students must work with their high school counselor regarding class selection. Ferris State University does not offer academic advising to Dual Enrollment students. For course descriptions, you may view the FSU Catalog.  Home-schooled students are also referred to their counselor, most often their parents/guardians.

Can I take any class offered?

No. Dual Enrollment students are restricted from taking some classes. Please consult with your high school counselor for more information.

When do I register?

See your high school guidance counselor for more information on when to register for dual enrollment classes.

How long does a dual enrollment class last?

Ferris State’s fall and spring semesters last for 16 weeks. This includes instruction and exam weeks. The fall semester begins in late August and ends in mid-December. Spring semester begins in early January and ends in late May. Students are expected to adhere to Ferris State University’s academic calendar and each instructor’s class scheduled.

There are also multiple spring/summer semester courses that run from mid-May to early August. Some classes will be more intensive six-week courses. Check with your high school counselor for your school district’s summer payment policy.

What if I want to take a class that my district won’t cover?

You can still enroll in the course if you wish, but high school students are not eligible for federal financial aid. Therefore, you would need to secure your own funding to take the course.

How do I know if my classes at Ferris will transfer someplace else?

All grades from dual enrollment classes will be placed on your official Ferris State transcript. Most colleges and universities generally require a minimum grade of “C” when accepting coursework from another post-secondary institution. To have your college-level courses evaluated at a college or university, request that your official transcripts be sent to the Office of Admissions at the institution.

If you have questions about the transferability of your Ferris State Dual Enrollment credits, you will need to contact the college or university you are planning to attend after high school.

What if I want to enroll in an online course?

The University offers some online courses (100 and 200 level) that are appropriate for high school students. Online courses are typically held in registration for our off-campus students and then opened to all students after a predetermined time set by the College of Professional and Technological Studies. Once those classes are opened, they fill rapidly on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be held for dual enrollment students. Many of the courses we offer on campus are mixed-delivery classes that will give students an opportunity to experience the best of both worlds. For more information about the "online course" requirement for high school graduates, visit: www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/Online10.06_final_175750_7.pdf.

What kind of classes can I take?

Students can take 100 and 200 level courses as long as they meet the prerequisites for the courses and the classes have been approved by their high school counselor. Ferris State has a policy regarding course prerequisites intended to benefit all students. Ferris views prerequisites as a necessary requirement and foundation for success. FSU may prevent a student from enrolling in a class if the prerequisites have not been met. Course prerequisites are listed with each course description, as appropriate, in the University catalog.

What steps do I take to attend Ferris State University after high school graduation?

You must complete a degree-seeking application. The free application is available online. You can also visit the visit admissions webpage for more information about attending Ferris State after high school.

For more information, please email dualenrollment@ferris.edu.