Goals and Objectives
The purpose of the Ferris State University Seminar Class is to provide first year
students with personal connections, knowledge, and resources that will enhance their
potential for learning, safety, satisfaction, and graduation.
The goal of the FSUSeminar course is to facilitate student transition from high school
to university life and by so doing improve student academic performance and retention.
Students will develop a relationship with FSUS faculty members that will serve as
an internal model for interactions with future teachers.
- become familiar with campus resources and technology (academic, student, and personal
- develop an awareness of teaching / learning preferences and how to use a variety of
study strategies to adapt in various learning environments;
- gain an understanding of wellness issues that directly affect their health and safety;
- learn to develop effective time management and goal setting strategies;
- learn to understand, respect, and value diversity in its many forms;
- learn about academic advisor/advisee relationships and course registration;
- become active participants and contributors in the campus and community;
- learn about and understand academic integrity and classroom etiquette skills that
foster appropriate conduct in a post-secondary institutional setting;
- be introduced to financial literacy; and
- learn about the University’s mission, core values, and historical development.