It is the policy of Ferris State University, Disabilities Services, that faculty shall
have a procedure for lodging an objection or disagreement with assigned accommodations
that appear on the notification letter generated by Disabilities Services for a student
with documented disabilities.
- Faculty should meet with the student to understand the approved accommodation.
- Contact the Disabilities Services or their Department Head by phone or email to discuss
- A meeting can be set up with the faculty member and student to review the accommodation
- A faculty member objecting to the approved accommodation(s), should contact the disabilities
department head by email or phone to set up an appointment to discuss the accommodation
concern within 72 hours after meeting with the student.
- If the result of the consultation is not to the satisfaction of the faculty member,
the faculty member will submit to Disabilities Services a written justification for
objections with supporting documentation within three business days.
- After reviewing the written justification, the department head will review the submitted
request and will consult with the Dean of Retention and Student Success.
- Disabilities Services will notify the faculty member of the decision in writing within
10 business days. If appropriate, an amended accommodations letter will be sent to
the student and the faculty member.
- If accommodations are taken away from the student, a letter will be sent to the student
indicating why the services will not be allowed.
- If the faculty member still objects to the decision of the Dean, the faculty member
may contact the Equal Opportunity Office, McKessey House, 231-591-3894.
While the objection is being reviewed, the student shall be afforded the benefit of
the listed accommodation(s) pending a final decision.