The HET Program was implemented in 1959. It started out in an old army barracks with one teacher. Today it has seven faculty members, a program director, a secretary, a crib clerk, and an equipment technician and is located in a modern 53,000 square foot facility, which is one of the largest and best equipped in the United States. The facility was built with a $7,000,000 appropriation from the state legislature. Eight hundred thousand dollars of the $7,000,000 was allocated for the purchase of portable instructional equipment. The addition of this new equipment brought the total instructional equipment inventory to well over $3,000,000.