Confronting Academic Misconduct
If you believe that a student is being academically dishonest in his/her work, plan
- Understand what your options are. Familiarize yourself with department and campus
processes and procedures.
- Allow a student cheating on an exam to finish; however, take notes of his/her actions.
- Avoid confrontations during class or in front of other students or
colleagues. Schedule a time with the student so that you can talk
- When privately talking with the student, clearly state your suspicion.
- Allow for the student to explain the conduct from his/her point of view.
- If the student’s explanation leads you to believe that there was not a
violation, discuss future behavior. However, if you were convinced that
there was a
violation, explain to the student what measures you will take.