Phone: (231) 591-5802
Don Haist currently serves as a field representative for the Ferris State University
Charter Schools Office. In 2004 he retired as school superintendent from Greenville Public Schools. Don then
became involved in the charter school business working as a chief instructional officer
for Choice Schools Associates and as a field representative for Grand Valley State
University. He has vast experience and knowledge in curriculum development, assessment, board
training, planning and evaluations.
I have been married for 43 years and I have three children and seven wonderful grandchildren.
Academy Oversight Responsibilities:
* Benton Harbor Charter School, Benton Harbor
* Marshall Academy, Marshall
* Muskegon Montessori Academy for Environmental Change, Norton Shores
* Oakland-Macomb Montessori Academy
Field Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
FSU Field Representatives serve as the "eyes and ears" of the CSO office in the field. Representatives are required to visit their assigned academies and Academy Board meetings at least six (6) times during the year to monitor and report back to the CSO on the following:
* Safety compliance
* Teacher certification
* Oversight review
* Classroom observations
* Operational issues within the Academy
* General operation upkeep of physical plant
* Proper posting of the Academy Board meetings
* Proper parliamentary procedures at Board meetings
All academy visits are documented in report form to the Director within five (5) days of attendance, and verbal reports on academies are given at monthly meetings of the CSO staff.