Purpose – The University provides support and works in partnership with advisors and students to develop thoughtful strategies that result in effective academic plans.
Vision – Academic advising at Ferris State University provides students with coordinated and comprehensive strategies so that they may gain lifelong skills in planning, decision-making, and setting and attaining goals. More than a series of business transactions, advising at FSU is a thoughtful, rigorous learning experience that inspires and educates students to take the lead in their paths to success.
Roles and Responsibilities – To this end the University will provide resources, professional development, and a reflective learning model for advising commensurate with its mission; advisors will work with students to balance support with challenge, ensure student access to existing resources, and advocate for and engage in innovative advising practices; students will be provided educational strategies so that they may be active partners in the advising experience and use University resources to their advantage as they seek to accomplish their educational and career goals.
Strategies to Accomplish the Purpose –
The University will:
- provide an advising infrastructure including educational counselors, support services, and transition classes and other resources as needed
- develop and maintain advising materials
- provide training and encourage professional development for faculty, staff, and peer mentors
- conduct periodic program assessment, adopt best practices, and utilize emerging technologies
- seek continuous improvement
- recognize and reward excellent advising
Advisors will be encouraged to:
- participate in training and professional development
- provide current academic information to students
- be available and responsive to students
- refer students to support services as needed
- assist students in developing education and career goals
- seek academic and career information and utilize support services
- contact assigned advisor(s) regularly
- maintain advising material related to education and career goals
- seek support resources when needed and when referred
Approved December, 2010